×
ARTBIZ TEA - SECURING YOUR TRADEMARK

ARTBIZ TEA - SECURING YOUR TRADEMARK

 


 

 I OWN the term “SKETCHBOSS”…well, sorta. Here’s what I mean.

 

As you pursue your art business, be sure to secure some type of intellectual property for it.

 I always preach that artists should deviate from a typical path.  The beauty in deviating will open up opportunities and ideas you can capitalize.

 For me that meant really talking a look at how I could make my art studio more than just a simple place where people can buy.  I wanted it to be a conglomerate where artists could benefit as well.  

 Now you can strictly leave it at your store name if you’re not ready to branch off into other things just yet.  I suggest, securing intellectual property for something that you’re certain about pursuing and pushing no matter what happens.  

 For me that was the term – SKETCHBOSS™

 I’m in the process now of finalizing what will be, SketchBoss™ Academy. 

 You see that  “tm” after SketchBoss don’t ya?

 Yea? Here’s why I can do that.

 Basically I filed a trademark application with the federal government for the term.  After consulting with an attorney, paying the filing fee, and him doing a little research on the backend to see if the term could be trademarked, he informed that I was good to go.  Meaning, I could own this term and in the interim of waiting for the process to be complete, i.e. registration.  I could use the ™ symbol.

 When the process is complete, I would then be able to officially switch to the ® “Registered” symbol and own the term outright.

 Now, when I say “Own”, I strictly mean for the purposes where I expressed ownership or the intent to use the term.

 For me that meant via my Academy and accompanying educational products, i.e. dvds, digital lessons, books, art supplies, etc.

 Here are the steps you can take to the do the same.  

 

Find a Trademark Attorney or just an attorney who specializes in business matters.  

Because it is a federal lituation, the attorney does not have to be in your state to complete this task. At least this is what was explained to me.  My cousin, who happens to be an attorney, initiated the paper process and he’s based in Chicago, me, Texas.   I asked him this question to be sure.

 

Be Ready for a Consult and Spill it All

After I expressed my interest to file, we had a consult where we exchanged questions about the service/ trademark I wanted to register.

 This consult was free for me and I will note that my cousin made it a point to mention that he wouldn’t charge me for it, so if I were you, I’d expect to reserve some funds just in case you are required to pay for this part.

 My main question was verifying that I would own this word for the purposes purported.

Pay the Fee to Initiate the Paperwork Process

 All in all it cost me $1275.00 for this service.  This is expensive ass hell, yes, I know.  And to be frank, I DIDN’T have the money to do it.

But I insisted on paying and luckily my cousin was open to the idea of splitting the cost into payments or installments. Be sure to find you an attorney who is open to this if you’re cash strapped.

 My embarrassing story?  I forgot the date of the last autodraft and was broke as hell until I could get some more money in my account.  I was pissed initially but resolved my emotions to the fact that at least I had it done.


 Clarify Your Intent for the Trademark 

 After the first installment, I was officially made a client and was assigned access to a portal which held my file.

 I was instructed to sign on and complete paperwork that asked me personal details, requested a copy of the logo or term including font type and how the trademark would be used.

 After submitting, that was it!

 There’s nothing left to do but wait.

 I was informed that my application had been submitted after verification that the term wasn’t already in use and that now the longer wait would being. 

 So when all is said and done, I should expect to have it officially registered by Fall 2021.

 Got questions?

 I ran through this process really fast…you can always shoot me a DM or email me at thebossyartist.com@gmail.com for more info.

 Here was my resource: Saglawpc.com

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.
Copyright © The Bossy Artist CREATED BY ThemeShine